Trade Associations

  • California Apartment Association.  With more than 17,000 members who provide approximately 800,000 homes to California families, the California Apartment Association (CAA) is the nation’s largest statewide trade association for people who own or manage rental property. CAA is dedicated to protecting its members’ investments through political and legal advocacy, assisting them to comply with new laws and regulations, and effectively communicating information on emerging industry trends, risk management and best business practices.
  • Rental Housing Owners Association of Southern Alameda County (RHO).  RHO serves the cities of San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hayward, Fremont, Union City, Newark, Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore, and all unincorporated areas in Southern Alameda County.
  • Rental Housing Association of Northern Alameda County (RHANAC).  RHANAC is a nonprofit trade association representing over 20,000 rental property owners in the cities of Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Albany, Emeryville, and Piedmont.


Owner Notification of Rights and Obligations Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

VAWA provides protections for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Project-Based Voucher (PBV) and Moderate Rehabilitation (MR) applicants, tenants, and participants from being denied assistance on the basis or as a direct result of being a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking.

Many of VAWA’s protections for these victims involve action by HACA, but some situations involve action by owners of assisted housing.  As an owner of housing assisted through HACA’s programs, you have rights and obligations under VAWA. Please read HACA’s Owner Notification of Rights and Obligations Under the Violence Against Women Act:

For more information on tenant rights, click here.


Lead-Based Paint Repair Program

The Alameda County Healthy Homes Department offers no cost lead paint repair funds for property owners in Alameda County.  Grants of up to $10,000 per housing unit rented to low-income families are available for Lead-Based Paint repairs.  To read more about how to qualify and to apply for these funds visit


Owner Obligations and Responsibilities Under the Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR)

You have certain obligations and responsibilities under the Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR). If a tenant informs you that a child in their household may have elevated blood lead levels or suspects that their unit contains lead-based paint hazards, you must contact HACA’s LSHR Coordinator immediately at (510) 727-8541.

Enrolling in Direct Deposit

Frequent Questions

A.     The family must follow the rules listed below in order to continue participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program administered by the Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (HACA).

B.   The family must:

1.      Supply any information that HACA or HUD determines to be necessary including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status, and information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition.

2.      Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.

3.      Supply any information requested by HACA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.

4.      Notify HACA in writing as early as is reasonably practical of the absence from the unit (for example, because of travel, hospitalization, jail-time, etc.) of the entire family, or one or more family member(s), including the absence of a child placed in a foster home or otherwise removed from the home by governmental action, as follows:
a.   Before the absence begins
if a family knows, or believes, that, the absence will be for more than a total of 30 days (irrespective of whether the days are consecutive or not) per consecutive 12 month period; or
b.   Upon the occurrence
if, as a result of a change in circumstances, an anticipated absence from the unit of a total of 30 or fewer days per consecutive 12 month period becomes an absence of more than 30 days.

5.      llow HACA to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.

6.     Notify HACA and the owner in writing at least 30 days before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.

Note: Either the family’s lease must explicitly grant it the right to terminate the lease and move out of the unit before the end of the term or it must have a month to month lease.  During the initial term of a lease (usually the first year), and sometimes in following terms, unless there is a serious lease violation by the owner, the family usually does not have the right to terminate the lease and move out of the unit before the end of the term without a mutual agreement with the owner.

7.      Use the assisted unit for residence by the family.  The unit must be the family’s only residence.

8.      Notify HACA and the owner in writing at least 30 days before the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child.

9.      Request written approval from HACA and the owner at least 30 days before the proposed addition as an occupant of the unit of any family member other than as set forth in Section B.8. above.

10.  Give HACA a copy of any owner eviction notice within 5 days of receipt.

11.  Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the owner is not required to provide under the lease.

12.  Notify HACA in writing within 14-days of the occurrence of any change in family circumstances that might change eligibility, rent, or family unit size, including changes in income, benefits, or family composition, or the reduction of the full-time student status of any family member 18 years of age or older to less than full-time.

C.     Any information the family supplies must be true and complete.

D.   The family (including each family member) must not:

1.      Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).

2.      Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.

3.      Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.

4.      Engage in drug-related criminal activity or violent criminal activity or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.

5.      Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.

6.      Receive Housing Choice Voucher Program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.

7.      Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.

8.      Receive Housing Choice Voucher Program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless HACA has determined (and has notified the owner and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.

9.      Engage in abuse of alcohol in a way that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.

10.  Allow any other person (i.e., anyone not a member of the assisted family listed on the lease) to reside in the unit (except for a foster child or live-in aide as approved by HACA).  HACA considers “residing in the unit” to include using the address for any purpose including but not limited to (a) receiving mail, (b) registering for school or any public agency, or (c) registering and/or insuring a vehicle.


***Section 8 Participants – Do NOT call this number. Call your LANDLORD instead***

Call (510) 538-8876 day or night and enter the appropriate number when prompted. Call this number for emergency maintenance service ONLY if you live at one of the addresses shown below. Otherwise, call your landlord for emergency maintenance service.


  • 1265, 1269 Ocean Ave.
  • Emery Glen, 6200 Doyle St


  • Park Terrace, 260 Sunset Blvd., Apts. 2, 12, 18, 22, 24, 30, 32, 35, 42

Union City

  • 33459, 33615, 33617, 33623, 33625 5th St.
  • 33650, 33652, 33857, 33859, 33861, 33863, 33865, 33867 7th St.
  • 33502, 33504, 33615, 33617, 33510, 33512, 33882, 33884 8th St.
  • 33724, 33726, 33759, 33761, 33763, 33765 14th St.
  • 4218, 4240, 4260 Apollo Circle
  • 139 Aurora Plaza
  • 4656 Barcelona Way
  • 32657 Brenda Way #4
  • 4968, 4970 Bridgepointe
  • 119 Camino Plaza
  • 4262 Comet Circle
  • 703, 711 Decoto Rd.
  • 406, 408 E St.
  • 2108 Eric Court #1 & #2
  • 2133 Eric Court #4
  • 211, 270 Galano Plaza
  • 4627 Granada Way
  • 4229 Jupiter Court
  • 4248 Lunar Way
  • 33524, 33526, 33532, 33534 Third St.
  • 4359, 4392 Planet Circle
  • 4106 Polaris Circle
  • 4504 Sonora Way
  • 523 Tamarack #13
  • 4138 Venus Place
  • Dyer Senior Housing, 4131 – 4183 Dyer St.
  • Mission View , 4125 Dyer St.
  • Nidus Senior Housing, 2000 – 2052 Nidus Court

HACA Business Office

Housing Authority of the County of Alameda
22941 Atherton Street
Hayward, CA 94541-6633

(510) 538-8876 - Main Phone Number
(510) 537-8236 - Fax Number
(510) 727-8551 - TDD

Directions to Atherton Office

You may contact HACA by phone from 8:00 A.M. to 4:45 P.M. each business day.  HACA's business hours are 10:00 A.M. to 4:45 P.M. each business day.  Visitors are seen by appointment only.  HACA is closed every other Friday.

Our automated phone system will guide you to someone who can help. Our HACA Phone Menu can be downloaded below:

Check our HACA Calendar to confirm that we're open for business.  Since we close every other Friday and for a number of holidays, always check the calendar to avoid an unnecessary trip.

Want to Contact HACA About a Specific Property, Incident, or Issue?

If you're a Section 8 participant or landlord, a Public Housing tenant, a neighbor, or a member of the community, and you want to contact us about a specific property, incident, or issue, please call the main phone number above.

If you're a Section 8 participant "porting" (that is, moving with your Section 8 assistance) to HACA's jurisdiction, please call us.

The Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (HACA) has opportunities for vendors to provide products and services throughout the year.  We may solicit proposals through a formal process known as Requests for Proposal (RFP) or Request for Bids.  When we solicit formal and informal proposals or bids, we may advertise in the Public Notices Sections of local newspapers.

Please click the link below to visit our Bids and Proposals page: