1. The family must follow the rules listed below in order to continue participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program administered by the Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (HACA).
  2. The familymust:
  3. Supply any information that HACA or HUD determines to be necessary including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status, and information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition.
  4. Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.
  5. Supply any information requested by HACA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
  6. Notify HACA in writing as early as is reasonably practical of the absence from the unit (for example, because of travel, hospitalization, jail-time, etc.) of the entire family, or one or more family member(s), including the absence of a child placed in a foster home or otherwise removed from the home by governmental action, as follows:
    a.   Before the absence begins
     if a family knows, or believes, that, the absence will be for more than a total of 30 days (irrespective of whether the days are consecutive or not) per consecutive 12 month period; or
    b.   Upon the occurrence 
    if, as a result of a change in circumstances, an anticipated absence from the unit of a total of 30 or fewer days per consecutive 12 month period becomes an absence of more than 30 days.
  7. llow HACA to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  8. Notify HACA and the owner in writingat least 30 days before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.

Note: Either the family’s lease must explicitly grant it the right to terminate the lease and move out of the unit before the end of the term or it must have a month to month lease.  During the initial term of a lease (usually the first year), and sometimes in following terms, unless there is a serious lease violation by the owner, the family usually does not have the right to terminate the lease and move out of the unit before the end of the term without a mutual agreement with the owner.

  1. Use the assisted unit for residence by the family.  The unit must be the family’s only residence.
  2. Notify HACA and the owner in writing at least 30 days before the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child.
  3. Request written approval from HACA and the owner at least 30 days before the proposed addition as an occupant of the unit of any family member other than as set forth in Section B.8. above.
  4. Give HACA a copy of any owner eviction notice within 5 days of receipt.
  5. Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the owner is not required to provide under the lease.
  6. Notify HACA in writing within 14-days of the occurrence of any change in family circumstances that might change eligibility, rent, or family unit size, including changes in income, benefits, or family composition, or the reduction of the full-time student status of any family member 18 years of age or older to less than full-time.
  7. Any information the family supplies must be true and complete.
  8. The family (including each family member) must not:
  9. Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  10. Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
  11. Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  12. Engage in drug-related criminal activity or violent criminal activity or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
  13. Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  14. Receive Housing Choice Voucher Program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.
  15. Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  16. Receive Housing Choice Voucher Program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless HACA has determined (and has notified the owner and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
  17. Engage in abuse of alcohol in a way that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
  18. Allow any other person (i.e., anyone not a member of the assisted family listed on the lease) to reside in the unit (except for a foster child or live-in aide as approved by HACA).  HACA considers “residing in the unit” to include using the address for any purpose including but not limited to (a) receiving mail, (b) registering for school or any public agency, or (c) registering and/or insuring a vehicle.

Recent News