Allowable Moves

You may move to a new unit with continued assistance in any of the following circumstances:

  • The lease or California law gives the family the right to terminate the lease on notice to the owner and the family has given a notice of termination to the owner in accordance with the lease. If the family does terminate the lease on notice to the owner, the family must give HACA a copy of the notice at the same time.
  • The family has complied with all other obligations of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) and has moved out of the assisted dwelling unit in order to protect the health or safety of an individual who is or has been a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking and who reasonably believed he or she was imminently threatened by harm from further violence if he or she remained in the assisted dwelling unit.
  • The lease for the family’s unit has been terminated by mutual agreement of the owner and the family.  If the family and the owner mutually agree to terminate the lease for the family’s unit, the family must give HACA a copy of the termination agreement.
  • The owner has given the family a notice to vacate, has commenced an action to evict the family, or has obtained a court judgment or other process allowing the owner to evict the family. The family must give HACA a copy of any owner eviction notice.
  • HACA has terminated the assisted lease for the family’s unit for the owner’s breach.
  • HACA determines that the family’s current unit does not meet the Housing Quality Standards space standards because of an increase in family size or a change in family composition. In such cases, HACA will issue the family a new voucher, and the family and HACA must try to find an acceptable unit as soon as possible. If an acceptable unit is available for the family, HACA will terminate the HAP contract for the family’s old unit in accordance with the HAP contract terms and notify both the family and the owner of the termination. The HAP contract terminates at the end of the calendar month that follows the calendar month in which HACA gives notice to the owner.

If you wish to move to a new unit, you must notify HACA and the owner before moving out of the old unit or terminating the lease on notice to the owner.  If you wish to move to a unit outside HACA’s jurisdiction under Portability, the notice to HACA must specify the area where the family wishes to move. The notices must be in writing.

Request to Exercise Portability

If you wish to move, or have questions about moving, contact HACA’s Moving Team at or by calling our main phone line.

If you want to review HACA’s complete moving policy, see Chapter 10 of HACA’s Section 8 Administrative Plan.

Recent News