Emergency Broadband Benefit

Effective May 26, 2021,  Section 8  Housing Choice Voucher households are eligible to enroll in an Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB).  The EBB will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

The EBB is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.  Eligible households can enroll through an approved Internet Service Provider or by visiting  GetEmergencyBroadband.org.

  • Download and print mail-in applications (in English or Spanish, with instructions available in 9 other languages, or you can call 833-511-0311 to receive applications in the mail)
  • Listen  to a public service announcement about the Emergency Broadband Benefit here:

Source of Income Protections for Housing Choice Voucher Holders

Refusing to accept Housing Choice Vouchers to pay rent, and other policies that disadvantage otherwise qualified voucher-holders, can constitute source of income discrimination. For more information visit Source of Income Protections | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Health & Human Services

  • Access the Eden Information & Referral, Inc. Resource Finder by clicking HERE
  • 2 1 1 is  free, non-emergency, confidential service that provides easy access to housing information and critical health and human services.  2-1-1 operates 24hours a day, 7 days a week with multi-lingual capabilities.  To access the 211 service, simply dial 2 1 1 on your phone or click HERE

Domestic Violence

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provides protections for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking. VAWA protections are not only available to women, but are available equally to all individuals regardless of sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the Federal agency that oversees that the Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (HACA) is in compliance with VAWA. Click below for a full explanation of your rights under VAWA:

To obtain this notice in Spanish, click here.

If you need to file a Certification of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking, and Alternative Documentation with HACA, please complete this form:

To obtain this form in Spanish, click here.

For information on HACA’s Emergency Transfer Plan for Victims of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking (VAWA), click below:

If you need to file an Emergency Transfer Request for Certain Victims of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking with HACA, please complete this form:

To obtain this form in Spanish, click here.

You may also pick up any of these forms in person at our office located at 22941 Atherton Street, Hayward, CA 94541 during our normal business hours.

  • In an emergency, call 911
  • Alameda County Family Justice Center
    470 27th St., Oakland, CA 94612
    (510) 267-8800
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
    1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
    1-800-799-3224 (TTY)

Landlord/Tenant Mediation Services

Eden Council for Hope & Opportunity (ECHO Housing) offers free counseling and mediation services for landlords and tenants.  Click below for more information in English or Spanish.

Click here for information in English

Housing Discrimination

Housing discrimination based on your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, family status, source of income or disability is illegal by federal law. Click here for more information regarding what constitutes sex discrimination under the Fair Housing Act.  Click here for more information reading source of income discrimination.

If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint.  For more information on your rights select your language below or select your language for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity for All brochure at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/marketing.

English Spanish Vietnamese Chinese Farsi

To view Fair Housing videos for the deaf and hard of hearing, including Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity for All, How to Complain about Housing Discrimination, Your right to effective communication in buying or renting a home, The Federal Fair Housing Act and Reasonable Accommodations, and more visit https://www.nad.org/resources/fair-housing/.

To file a discrimination complaint select your language below or select your language for Are You a Victim of Housing Discrimination? brochure at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/marketing.






Discrimination complaints may be filed with California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing at https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/complaint-process/file-a-complaint/ or HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint.

Legal Advice and Health Consumer Center

Bay Area Legal Aid operates the following services:

Legal Advice Line: 1-800-551-5554 (Monday-Thursday, 9:30am – 12:30pm)

The Legal Advice Line handles legal matters related to:

  • Housing discrimination or loss of housing, including evictions and problems related to housing subsidies
  • Public benefits matters, including appeals of denials, terminations, and overpayments of various public benefits such as SSI, CalFresh, CalWORKs, Veterans benefits, and benefits for immigrant crime victims
  • Family law or immigration matters for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking
  • questions related to public charge
  • Consumer rights, including protection from predatory lending and illegal debt collection
  • Youth justice matters for court-involved or at-risk youth, including homeless youth

Health Consumer Center: 1-855-693-7285 (Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm)

The Health Consumer Center handles matters related to:

  • Receipt of, denial of coverage, or denial of treatment for private or public health insurance, including Medicare, Medi-Cal, and plans purchased through Coverred California
  • Medical bills
  • Handling Medi-Cal Share of Cost issues
  • IHSS matters including denials, terminations, reductions of hours, etc.

Information for Persons with Disabilities

Information for Aging Veterans

For information on available care options and programs that can help Veterans maintain their independence and quality of life visit https://www.caring.com/senior-living/assisted-living-benefits-for-veterans/

For veteran substance abuse resources, visit https://www.help.org/substance-abuse-rehab-for-veterans/

For veteran rehab facility resources, visit https://www.help.org/best-low-cost-rehabs/ and https://www.help.org/choosing-the-right-rehab-facility/
For veterans suffering from Alzheimer’s seeking information on available care options and financial support, visit, https://www.memorycare.com/veterans/

Utility Assistance Programs

Recent News