Trade Associations

  • California Apartment Association.  With more than 17,000 members who provide approximately 800,000 homes to California families, the California Apartment Association (CAA) is the nation’s largest statewide trade association for people who own or manage rental property. CAA is dedicated to protecting its members’ investments through political and legal advocacy, assisting them to comply with new laws and regulations, and effectively communicating information on emerging industry trends, risk management and best business practices.
  • Rental Housing Owners Association of Southern Alameda County (RHO).  RHO serves the cities of San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hayward, Fremont, Union City, Newark, Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore, and all unincorporated areas in Southern Alameda County.
  • Rental Housing Association of Northern Alameda County (RHANAC).  RHANAC is a nonprofit trade association representing over 20,000 rental property owners in the cities of Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Albany, Emeryville, and Piedmont.

Owner Notification of Rights and Obligations Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

VAWA provides protections for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Project-Based Voucher (PBV) and Moderate Rehabilitation (MR) applicants, tenants, and participants from being denied assistance on the basis or as a direct result of being a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking.

Many of VAWA’s protections for these victims involve action by HACA, but some situations involve action by owners of assisted housing.  As an owner of housing assisted through HACA’s programs, you have rights and obligations under VAWA. Please read HACA’s Owner Notification of Rights and Obligations Under the Violence Against Women Act:

For more information on tenant rights, click here.

Lead-Based Paint Repair Program

The Alameda County Healthy Homes Department offers no cost lead paint repair funds for property owners in Alameda County.  Grants of up to $10,000 per housing unit rented to low-income families are available for Lead-Based Paint repairs.  To read more about how to qualify and to apply for these funds visit

Owner Obligations and Responsibilities Under the Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR)

You have certain obligations and responsibilities under the Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR). If a tenant informs you that a child in their household may have elevated blood lead levels or suspects that their unit contains lead-based paint hazards, you must contact HACA’s LSHR Coordinator immediately at (510) 727-8541.

Enrolling in Direct Deposit

Frequent Questions

Recent News